As we are coming to the end of 2016, all the big wine magazines have already published their wine lists of the year. This year, you will have a brand new wine list created by winesofnesli.com!
Before we head off, I would like to make it clear that there is only one judge who created the list, which is me, Nesli! The wines that were judged were only the ones that I drank (not only tasted but at least consumed a glass) throughout the year. In 2016, I mostly drank the wines of the countries that I have been, that’s why the lists are mostly dominated by USA, Chile and Turkey. I also have to mention that I listed the wines that I like the most, without worrying about style, variety or price. So, I do not claim that it is an objective list, since the results depend on my background, appetite and mood! The categories of the lists are red, white, rose and sparkling. Perfect, since we know the rules, let’s get started!
TOP 10 RED WI.NES
- Riveras de Chillan, Merlot 2014, Itata Valley, Chile.
- Suvla, Karasakız 2014, Gallipoli Peninsula, Turkey.
- Lapostolle, Casa, Merlot 2013, Valle del Rapel, Chile.
- Distinto 2015, D.O. Colchagua Valley, Chile.
- Marimar Estate, Chico’s Run, Pinot Noir 2013, Sonoma Coast, USA.Viña Caliterra,
- Stag’s Leap Wine Cellars, S.L.V., Cabernet Sauvignon 2005, Napa Valley, USA.
- Rubicon, 2012, Inglenook Winery, Napa Valley, USA
- Stefano Accordini, Vigneto Il Fornetto, Amarone della Valpolicella Classico 2001, Italy.
- Opus One, 2012, Napa Valley, USA.
- Charmes de Kirwan, Chateau Kirwan, 2009, Grand Cru Classe Margaux, France.
TOP TEN WHITE WI.NES
- Protea, Chenin blanc 2014, South Africa.
- Gemici, Sultanine 2013, Alaçatı, Turkey.
- Las Mulas, Miguel Torres, Sauvignon Blanc 2014, Chile.
- Kayra Leona, Sauvignon Blanc 2014, Turkey.
- Heitz Cellar, Sauvignon Blanc 2015, Napa Valley, USA.
- Casas del Bosque, Chardonnay 2014, D.O. Casablanca Valley, Chile.
- Vinkara Doruk, Narince 2013, Turkey.
- Pianacce, Vermentino 2014, Colli di Luni, Italy.
- Black Stallion, Viognier 2014, Stagecoach Vineyard, Napa Valley, USA.
- Graci, Etna Bianco, Carricante & Cataratto 2012, Mount Etna, Sicily, Italy.
TOP TEN ROSE WI.NES
- Lujuria, Viñedos Puertas, Rose de Carmenere 2013,Curico, Chile.
- Sonnet, Grenache 2014, Usca, Urla, Turkey.
- Mon Reve, Sangiovese 2014, LA, Turkey.
- Honig Pink, Cabernet Sauvignon 2015, Napa Valley, USA.
- Urla Şarapçılık, Serendias 2014, Urla, Turkey.
- Cotes des Roses, Gerard Bertrand, Grenache, Cinsault, Syrah 2015, Languedoc, France.
- Harvest of Joy, Rosé 2015, Robert Mondavi, USA.
- Koyle, Don Cande, Rosé of Cinsault, 2015, Chile.
- Quixote, Rosé of Petite Syrah Stag’s Leap District, Napa Valley, 2015, USA
- Whispering Angel, Caves d’Eclans, Cotes du Provence, 2015, France.
TOP TEN SPARKLING WI.NES
- Brut-All, Itata Profundo, Lucia Torres, Chile.
- Domaine Allimant-Laugner, Cremant d’Alsace, Rosé, France.
- Mumm Napa, Brut Prestige, Methode traditionelle, USA.
- G.H. Mumm, Cordon Rouge, Champagne France.
- Freixenet, Cava, Cordon Negro, 2016 Winter Edition, Spain.
- Iron Horse, Rosé Brut 2008, Sonoma Valley, USA.
- Moet et Chandon Imperial Brut, Champagne, France.
- DVX Mumm 2005, Napa Valley, USA.
- Bollinger La Grande Annee, 2004, Brut, Champagne, France.
- Vieux Clicquot,Brut Champagne, France.
I wish everyone a happy ending of 2016 and even happier beginning of 2017!
All images © 2016 by Nedret Neslihan IVIT. All rights reserved.