We’re almost done with 2017! This year, I’ve prepared a small summary of my best wine moments of the year, the moments that I wish to throw back into, instead of the traditional Top 10 wines.
1. Those of you who are following me through social media would know that in the end of 2016, I’ve made a big decision and moved to Nova Scotia, Canada. This photo represents for me the wines of Canada.
2. As well as getting to know Nova Scotia, I also had the chance to visit Toronto. If I had to choose only one moment in Toronto which I can turn back into, I would definitely choose the one in the terrace of Hotel Park Hyatt, enjoying a glass of Moët & Chandon with a hibiscus flower inside with breathtaking Toronto view.
3. In end of May, I’ve travelled back to Turkey, to Izmir where I am originally from. It was great to back home in summer, since I haven’t been home in this season since 2012. Of course, I’ve used this time to spend quality time with my family and try as much as Turkish wines and “raki” (a distillate made from grapes and added anise) that I can.
4. While I was there in Turkey, I’ve made a small trip to North Cyprus. This place had a very special effect on me, with its beauty of the landscape despite the difficulties in the history and in the current political situation. And again, if I could turn back to one only moment,I would choose the dinner that I’ve shared with my mom in the harbour area; seafood dishes from local cuisine paired with crisp white wine.
5. Another small trip that I’ve made was to Chios island of Greece. From my house, with a fast catamaran, it’s possible to arrive to Chios island in half an hour. I’ve spent there only one day and had an unforgettable lunch, in a small restaurant called Oι muλoι means the mills.
6. The day that I’ve spent in Cité du Vin in Bordeaux is a day to remember. Cité du Vin very interactive and visual, there are so many things to do that I didn’t understand how the time passed. When I was living in Bordeaux 2 years ago, I was thinking that it was the best city in the world that I’ve been in, and now with the addition of Cité du Vin, it became best of the best!
7. While I was in Bordeaux, I visited Chateau Cantemerle, in which I’ve worked during 2015 vintage. It was very nice to see again the people and the chateau. They gave me as a gift 2 bottles of Chateau Cantemerle 2015, in which there are the grapes that I’ve helped to ferment. Such a great feeling, I’ve opened one bottle immediately at home with family and the other I am keeping in my cellar.
8. Another wine that I was very happy to drink was DSTNT 2016 of Viña Caliterra, because I’ve work specifically for the fermentations of this wine. It’s made with carbonic maceration, so very fruity, fresh and fun to drink.
9. In summer, I made one of my dreams come true and visit the Champagne region. They were the best days of 2017, I’ve visited Veuve Clicquot, Mumm, Pommery, Ruinart, Moët & Chandon, Taittinger.
10. When the autumn arrives in Nova Scotia, I felt in love with the nature again. All the trees with were in different colors; all the shades of green, yellow, orange and red. Having inspired from this view and from local products, I’ve created a dish with autumn veggies and Nova Scotia lobster and paired with a Sherry wine for the Sherry week contest. And I won the prize of a dinner in El Cellar de Can Roca, I am very excited to go in 2018!
Bonus: Finally, I am spending the last week of 2017 in Chile, I had chance to visit some of the outstanding wineries of Colchagua Valley, of which I will mention intensively in 2018.
All in all, I believe it was one delicious year 2017. And I hope 2018 will be even better! Happy New Year to everyone!!
All images © 2017 by Nedret Neslihan IVIT. All rights reserved.